It is currently Sat Jul 02, 2024 1:37 pm

Post subject: At what age do you feel it is ok to let your child watch F13
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2024 10:51 am 
Camper

I can't wait till my kids are old enough to watch Friday the 13th movies. I try to watch at least one once a month but it is hard to find the time when you have little ones running around. My youngest is 3 and my oldest is 6 so I know I am at least 7 years off of really enjoying a F13 movie with my children. I was about 8-9 years old when I started to watch these on USA Up All Night marathons and I figure for at least the movies that are out now age 10 (depending on the child of course) is a good age to allow them to start watching Friday the 13th.

What do you think is the "right" age to introudce your children to the Friday The 13th movies?

Through a Voorhees was he born... through a Voorhees may he be reborn... and only by the hands of a Voorhees will he die.

Post subject: Re: At what age do you feel it is ok to let your child watch
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2024 6:07 pm 
Camper

i think age 8half is just about good to get them interested. i was actually 6 and my older brother 8 when my GRANDMOTHER would rent freddy and jason movies when we spent the night. crazy babysitting tactic but they did censor the nudity for me, covering my eyes or distracting me with candy during those scenes. then as i got older when you seem them in its entirety its even cooler cause know u know whats going on more and u see the parts they hid from u. and really it didnt mess me up it got me to be more creative and led me to my now career in making violent video games for sony lol.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2024 8:55 pm 
Camper

I think I was like 10. Definately scared me, but I'm glad I got the full effect.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2024 12:13 am 
Camper

I started in early middle school and I showed my stepson when he was 6 or 7 but I explained it to him and also watched it with him. Now he loves the movies and he is not afraid of them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2024 2:50 am 
Camper

Being a father, I feel it is my responsibility to educate my children or any other child the differences between films like Friday the 13th and the real world. I don't want them thinking it is alright to go out and butcher people for the hell of it. I just want to make sure that they are at the age where they can tell right from wrong. Every child matures differently, so its really hard for me to give out a specific age.

I was around 7 or 8 when I first started watching horror films, and I done it so against my parents wishes. They didn't feel I was at the proper age, and to be honest with you I still had alot of immaturity back then because I was in the first grade when I got one of them glow-in-the-dark Jason masks from Wal-Mart and when I put that mask on, I became Jason Voorhees in my mind, or at least I thought. Maybe I wasn't ready to watch horror films at that age, but all I know is that I came out okay without ever hurting anybody. I mean when you're a child and you are fascinated by a character from a movie, you do your best to imitate that character up until you are that character.

I'm not one who believes that video games or horror movies cause 13 year olds and up, to start a killing spree because by that age those kids should have reached the maturity level to know right from wrong. But when you talk about kids between the ages of 6 and 9, that's really a big 'if' in my opinion. I'm not trying to tell anybody how to raise their kids, but I will advise any parent to carefully educate their children about these movies if they do decide to let them watch them at a young age. This is really a good topic to discuss among fellow parents and future parents because the word maturity plays a big role with this.

http://fridaythe13thfilms.com/blog/author/Kane/ My Blog Archives

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2024 1:03 am 
Camper

Well said Kane- i agree completely. Each child is different and its up to us as the parents and care givers to accomodate their needs appropriately.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2024 5:16 pm 
Camper

Don't let them watch them. Make it clear they're NOT allowed to wtach them because they're too young.

The day they sneak behind your back and start secretly watching horror films with their friends is when they're old enough. ;)

- Scarecrow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2024 6:25 pm 
Camper

I believe I was around 6 or so when I seen my first Friday on the USA Network. I'm 34 now, so I'm old enough to remember the "Glory Days", and the intentions of the earlier films. Having 2 sons, I have already taught them the difference between movie violence & real life. I do censor them by telling to close their eyes for the scenes with nudity. These movies are a fun ride, and have been a big part of my life, which I feel like I'm passing the torch to my sons.haha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2024 6:27 pm 
Camper

I was 7 when I watched my first friday,it was part 7 and Ive been hooked ever since

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2024 1:03 am 
Camper

I was 13... Great number!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2024 10:32 am 
Camper

It's tough to say. My mom worked day and night raising me and my 3 sisters alone.. soo somehow I was watching horror movies as early as 4 years old. I didn't turn out to be a murderer so I guess things are ok but I cant say that for all young children lol. I definitely suffered from nightmares most of my life though!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2024 8:12 am 
Camper

I was 8 or so when I first saw Part 1 in 1980. It scared the hell out of me though. I had been watching Hammer movies and the like, but had never seen anything like f13 before.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2024 11:26 am 
Camper

I was 11 and were fine with all the violence and nudity. I'll probably let my kids see them when they're at that age as well. I never watched these movies with my parents though, so I may have to tell the kids to close their eyes when the more gory stuff is shown the first couple of times.

He's back...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2024 1:11 pm 
Camper

I think you should be at least 15 before you start watching them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2024 6:09 am 
Camper

I agree that it all depends on the kid's maturity. Some kids could watch it at 6 years old where a 15 year old would be affected in a bad way.