It is currently Mon Jun 20, 2024 12:58 pm

Post subject: uncut dvds
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2024 6:00 pm 
Camper

Why is it that Paramount released the first film uncut but not any of the squeals? Was the footage lost? I think that they put at least some of it back in. I have the DVD for part IV and if I'm not mistaken the scene with Jason's head sliding down the machete was cut was it not? But it is included on the DVD.

Post subject: Re: uncut dvds
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2024 12:48 am 
Camper

Location: Somewhere near Cleveland, Ohio but that's all I'm telling you . . .
I would feel like the whole "uncut" part looses its feel if on every movie it said uncut. For a few movie franchises they do that, must be a marketing trick. But you're probably right, almost all have an uncut version out there somewhere.

I just want you to please note that any knowledge I show throughout NS is based off of a 3rd grade education. All this means is that I probably know absolutely nothing about any subject I post about. Thank God for Wikipedia!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2024 6:01 pm 
Camper

I think they should put uncut on most off them, it's fair for the fans!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2024 7:00 am 
Camper

the one sequel id love to see uncut would be part 2. I read some stuff in crystal lake memories about it, especially the scene with jeff and sandra.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2024 8:57 pm 
Camper

2 - No one bothered to look for the footage.
3 - No one bothered to look for the footage. Barely cut to appease the MPAA anyway and works fine as it is.
4 - This one didn't go through post-production until after they had a cut CARA would agree to rate "R" so, for all intents and purposes, the DVD is "uncut." As far as trims, Dan Farrands and his team uncovered just about everything anyone could ever hope for in terms of picture but the sound reels are lost. Feel free to make your own cut.
5 - They looked. It's all lost.
6 - 35mm trims are lost. Some bits and pieces of excised parts survive on a workprint tape the director provided. (Not that I can tell you why a deleted scene that was seen in the broadcast TV version isn't on the DVD.)
7 - The 35mm trims were destroyed. Only survives on those workprint tapes you've seen, which are certainly not in any kind of condition to be cutting back into anything.
8 - Some workprint bits and pieces survived, none of it even worth seeing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2024 1:08 am 
Camper

Most was destroyed by Paramount. The original Friday the 13th didn't undergo such an extreme editing process, so the lost footage was fairly easy to locate. The majority is presumed destroyed, although the Final Chapter relocated some of its extended reels (it wasn't filmed with any sound, that was to be added later). Though there's a still a fair bit missing.

Paramount would've loved to satisfy the fans nowadays, but the reels were handled so poorly in the past that it's not an option.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2024 7:26 am 
Camper

0069twiggy wrote:
Why is it that Paramount released the first film uncut but not any of the squeals? Was the footage lost? I think that they put at least some of it back in. I have the DVD for part IV and if I'm not mistaken the scene with Jason's head sliding down the machete was cut was it not? But it is included on the DVD.

Yes that would be quite a shame if the "squeals" were never released uncut. Oink oink!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2024 9:24 pm 
Camper

The real reason is that it would cost money.

http://fridaythe13thfilms.com/blog/dani ... ditions-2/

"There was some discussion about adding the lost scenes (especially in Part 4) back into the picture, but there are a slew of legal issues surrounding a revised version. It mainly has to do with the guilds — the Writers Guild and Directors Guild — who have strict rules about making changes to director’s and writer’s work. That said, of course there could be a way to create a new or alternate version if the director and writer were to come to terms with the studio, but that is a long road and we honestly thought it would be best to show fans all of the trimmed gore sequences with multiple angles and director commentary than trying to reinsert pieces of these trims into the actual film."

The film business works differently than many others and you can't just do a re-cut of a film because you have all of the parts. The reason for this is that re-cutting the film constitutes a new version of the film.

Thus, dropping deleted scenes in as special features cost nothing but reintegrating them into the full film would be a substantial cost.

The only reason the first film was done this way was that it was not a modern re-cutting of the film (such as doing any of the sequels would be.) All they did was take the European version that was released circa thirty years ago and released it over here as a 'unrated' version. Which, to be honest, Sean has stated that very little was ever cut or left out of the first Friday the 13Th because they were on a tight schedule and budget and just didn't have to time to film hardly anything more than what was absolutely necessary. What we see in the European Edition aka the Deluxe Edition, is considered to be the fully restored film by most people. And I see little reason to doubt that this is true.

Newline did a similar thing with Part 9. The 'unrated' version on the DVD was nothing more than the European version. As such, that is why we don't see the original ending or other deleted scenes; such as the fully grown Hell Baby reintegrated into the film. That would constitute a new cut of the film, and Newline would have had to spend more money.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2024 7:26 am 
Camper

f13ticket, thanks for the info, that makes complete sense..