It is currently Mon Jun 20, 2024 11:54 am

Post subject: Horror video games?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2024 4:47 pm 
Camper

Anyone else here play horror video games? While Resident Evil and Silent Hill need no introduction, here are some favorites that are less well known:

Fatal Frame/Project Zero: An excellent haunted house series, each game tells the story of one of Dr. Aso's "Camera Obscuras" - a series of cameras he built to see and trap ghosts - and the horrifying things that happen to the unfortunate protagonists who use them.

Echo Night: Richard, a man searching for his missing father, somehow finds himself on a ship... that was supposed to have sunk years ago. It's crawling with ghosts, and while most of them are merely miserable, some are violent and must be avoided.

Clock Tower: If you can find the SNES version, it is hands-down the scariest. A group of orphans is adopted by a rich recluse who lives in a remote mansion, but when one of them- Jennifer- goes exploring, she finds herself pursued by a mysterious masked killer with a giant pair of scissors (I think CT got a mention here for its creator, Hifumi Kono, joking that, "If you can win [Clock Tower 2] without dying once, I think you'd be able to survive even if Jason was chasing you!").

Haunting Ground: A girl whose parents are killed in a car crash is sent to live with relatives, but it quickly becomes clear something is very wrong with them (it's pretty much a tribute to the original Clock Tower, but that is in no way a bad thing).

Shadow of Destiny/Memories: A young man makes a deal with a morally-ambiguous imp in order to travel through time and solve his own murder. The neatest thing about this is that almost anything you do in the past has an impact on the future, so you can complete all kinds of unrelated and seeminly-unimportant subquests in the past and come back to find they've drastically changed the present.

And my #1 favorite series of all time, ever:

Legacy of Kain: If friendly vampires are making you sick, there's no better cure than Kain, an undead nobleman with a foul temper and downright mean sense of humor. When Kain's simple quest for revenge ends with his allies dead and his world of Nosgoth spiraling into decay and madness, he (and fellow protagonist Raziel) must discover the source of the rot before it discovers- and kills- them. Vae victis!

Any other good ones?

Post subject: Re: Horror video games?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2024 9:09 pm 
Camper

WitheredCarnation wrote:
And my #1 favorite series of all time, ever:

Legacy of Kain: If friendly vampires are making you sick, there's no better cure than Kain, an undead nobleman with a foul temper and downright mean sense of humor. When Kain's simple quest for revenge ends with his allies dead and his world of Nosgoth spiraling into decay and madness, he (and fellow protagonist Raziel) must discover the source of the rot before it discovers- and kills- them. Vae victis!

Any other good ones?

I play a good bit of games of all genres. Although God of War is my favorite series ever, I absolutely love the Legacy of Kain series (it's #2 on my list). I own every game in the series and badly want a ps3 version. Hell, I'd even take a 720p upgrade of the older ones ala God of War I and II for the ps3.

As far as adding to the list...... you forgot Friday the 13th for NES! :lol: I actually like that game and drug it out of storage about a month ago for a quick play through.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2024 12:51 am 
Camper

MPN212 wrote:
I play a good bit of games of all genres. Although God of War is my favorite series ever, I absolutely love the Legacy of Kain series (it's #2 on my list). I own every game in the series and badly want a ps3 version. Hell, I'd even take a 720p upgrade of the older ones ala God of War I and II for the ps3.

As far as adding to the list...... you forgot Friday the 13th for NES! :lol: I actually like that game and drug it out of storage about a month ago for a quick play through.

I can't believe I forgot Friday the 13th; I like it, too! :lol: I think there were some Nightmare on Elm Street games, but I could never find them. Another one: Zombies Ate My Neighbors. That was totally fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2024 1:41 am 
Camper

My friend had one for the NES. I didn't like it at all, although it doesn't get bashed near as hard as F13. But, NOES was always more main stream anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2024 9:15 am 
Camper

The Thing game for PC had some great atmosphere. Though that was a bit action game.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2024 10:19 pm 
Camper

I liked the friday the 13th nes game to, but back in the day that game was hard as hell.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2024 4:11 pm 
Camper

As crappy as the controls were I loved Evil Dead Hail to the King on PS. Great game, even greater movies!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2024 10:37 pm 
Camper

solidsnake1972 wrote:
I liked the friday the 13th nes game to, but back in the day that game was hard as hell.

Still hard as hell to me man. When I drag it out I always drag out the Game Genie too!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2024 8:31 pm 
Camper

If you are into horror gaming , then check out Dead Space and the obligatory new Dead Space 2. Ultra-creepy, mega-violent shocking gameplay aboard an abandoned space ship. Both games are very well done. The terrifying atmosphere is so spot-on, you can almost feel it. In regards to the original post, I really think Resident Evil is the top dog franchise in this genre, however, #5 was a let down for me. Not very horrific to shoot African villagers for 15 hours in a row.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2024 4:08 pm 
Camper

I'm not a big gamer, but I do like Manhunt and The Suffering a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2024 8:27 pm 
Camper

Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street for NES FTW! Awesome games, even though they have been bashed to death over the years. I can beat both WITHOUT the game genie, and yes... They are as hard as a T-Rex's turd. Also, I cannot believe no-one mentioned Splatterhouse! I mean cmon the guy even wears a hockey mask! LOL. And the new one for XBOX 360 is awesome, but still as hard as the originals. As for others, I own all the Resident Evils (1-4 and Code Veronica: X on Gamecube), and also own all of the Evil Dead games. If you haven't played the newest one, Regeneration, I highly recommend it. A great game with everything you love about the Evil Dead series spread throughout. Also love the Legacy of Kain series. Great idea for a post guys!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2024 4:19 am 
Camper

I'm pretty bummed that "Terrordrome" was shut down

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2024 9:39 am 
Camper

Love horror games. Currently playing dead space 2 and replacing condemned and dead rising 2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2024 6:53 am 
Camper

No love for the Silent Hill franchise?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2024 7:32 am 
Camper

CampBlood1980 wrote:
I'm pretty bummed that "Terrordrome" was shut down

so am i dude, that sucks, they weren't selling it... it looked awesome!!