It is currently Mon Jun 20, 2024 12:26 pm

Post subject: The Blog is Going Away???
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2024 8:32 am 
Camper

The following comment posted here: http://fridaythe13thfilms.com/blog/the- ... es-on-ice/ but was censored:

Quote:
Hopefully, you simply mean you’ll be focusing on different areas of the site. That it will simply become extremely infrequent that we see new posts on the blog. And not simply removing the blog? I would assume at least that the old posts will stay up?

If not, that doesn’t really make any sense on any level; loyalty to the fans, marketing, SEO, ad revenue wise or any other reason that I could possibly think of. If it’s a bandwidth thing, time to upgrade.

In any case, we know you’ve put a lot of work into the site and we appreciate that and the flow of information has been great. But after all it is the community that makes or breaks this site, that brings in all the ad revenue.

We know you’re using WordPress so I propose at least letting the fans take over the blog because we don’t want to see it go. How about allowing us to register as Contributors which allows us to post articles for review (not actually publish them), for you to briefly skim through now and then and decide what to publish and what not. As a web professional for the last 5 years I can tell you that a;

- Website
- Blog
- Forum
- Wiki

Are all different and useful in different ways. One or the other is not a savvy business choice nor a loyal one to us fans.

Thanks

My answer to all this:
http://www.halloweenlove.com/fridaythe1 ... the-worst/
http://fridaythe13thfans.com/

I wonder if I'll receive a response or if my voice will even be allowed to be heard at all? There's probably no worse direction a website can go in then when they start censoring their community... are things going to keep going downhill?

Post subject: Re: The Blog is Going Away???
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2024 10:55 am 
Camper

Your original message wasn't approved past the moderation stage as held all the halmarks of pre-scripted spambot comments. Generic quality, no directness or personalization, excessive "business-like" talk, and an indication you hadn't actually read the article before typing your piece. In retrospect now that I know it was real, you had some good points. Allowing others to sign up and post articles is doable, the question is who would actually contribute to such a thing especially with no promise of their piece getting past the draft moderation you suggested? If your own reaction is to be based on, they would be pretty pissed at the "censorship" of their writing not being allowed to be published.

This could have been cleared up with a simple email and I would have given the all-clear or given an explanation. I just don't understand people's need to create public drama. Like I said, you had good points - I welcome any suggestion. But by going on the offensive and involving the masses, you obscure whatever positive points you had in the first place. Which begs the question: what do you really want? One look at your signature answers it all.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2024 11:27 am 
Camper

Thank you for addressing this and explaining why my comment wasn't approved. Perhaps you can now approve the former blog comment at least to see what others are thinking about it.

There's always a way, right? Considering none of us want the blog to go away, that is not an option. At least that's the consideration of thought that should be shown to us.

The fact of the matter is this website has almost always been community based, even before there was a blog, wiki or forum. It's always the readers that make a website. With all good intentions, some of us have been around long before you and some of the other admins/webmasters/owners. Over a decade for some of us hardcore fans. Hell, @fridaythe13thfilms.com was the first email I ever had.

So you know, I'm not pissed, just disappointed and I call 'em like I see 'em as I see you do as well. I know you have a business to run, I know and I understand this. But, it's my sincerest hopes that you guys are huge fans as well. Just got to keep the loyalty alive; it's not a matter of if the blog is going to work, but how?

Censorship doesn't come in to it, as far as my comment is concerned can you really blame me for feeling censored?

For quality article posts, you would obviously set guidelines for your expectations and how the approval process works.

Besides the fact that many would enjoy writing just for fun, you could enter people in contests, give out t-shirts, whatever. I'm just throwing ideas around.

At least propose the idea in a new blog post gauge the feedback, get the ideas going. Give it a shot at least or let it die.

Your call.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2024 11:48 am 
Camper

I disagree that it has *always* been the community. That effectively undermines the several years of hard work Blake and Brenna put into the website. Yes, there was always a very strong community element - in the forum. We have a forum here now. Technically there's no less avenue for discussion than there was when those two cats ran the place for all those years. Only thing we're lacking is a Chat Room and I'll argue they're passe with social media (which by the way, we do have both Twitter and Facebook, more places for discussion).

I contend you didn't actually read the article and are basing all of this on the headline "Blog goes on ice!" alone. If you did I wouldn't have to be repeating myself: blog was a proxy forum, now that the forum is up, we're not stopping what we're doing, we're simply doing it somewhere else on the site - http://fridaythe13thfilms.com as opposed to http//fridaythe13thfilms.com/blog - and discussion is being hearded into the forum so it's not so segmented. It's about streamlining and not having 50,000 offshoot areas readers need to keep up with.

"I know you have a business to run, I know and I understand this. But, it's my sincerest hopes that you guys are huge fans as well."

See this is where I know you're on crack, so I'm answering your questions more for others benefits than yours. If you're not on crack, you're just being a passive-aggressive prick. The site isn't a business and if you want to call into question whether we're actually "fans", bring some meat to the fucking table.

All you're here for is to push this group-sourcing idea of yours which it odd as you've already went and made your own version of it. It's great that because I didn't approve a comment, you went and BUILT A WEBSITE... that's hilarious... you sure showed me...! You people needn't go to such dopey lengths just to promote your websites.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2024 12:26 pm 
Camper

In all fairness, you're the one being a little ridiculous and rude now, which is completely uncalled for. You're basically demonstrating how much you care about your community right now, which is very little.

Obviously I read the post thoroughly, did you read my comment thoroughly?

I'm not undermining the website that's been built. If we're going to bring that into the equation, it would be undermining to the community to remove the blog and say oh well, it's the end of an era, you can just use the forum now which is the same thing because it's not the same thing. Telling us you're not making a buck off this is undermining all of our collective intelligence. You seem to be denying this in a defensive way as if I've put a negative connotation on it. There's nothing wrong with making money, the show must go on, no sarcasm... just why would you deny making money?

I'm not being passive aggressive, it's just clear now that you aren't good with feedback and criticism. By calling me names only serves to hurt the credibility of what you're saying as you cannot remain reasonably cordial or professional to your points.

I've been a hardcore Friday the 13th fan since my earliest childhood memories and now as a web designer I've naturally wanted to put together a Jason site for a long time. Obviously this was on my mind heavily lately so I thought it would be a good time.

In conclusion, I understand that tone in text is often hard to distinguish so I'll at least meet you half way and apologize if you took offense or malicious intent by anything I've said, I only meant to provide critical feedback on the blog situation, that is all.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2024 1:02 pm 
Camper

I have no desire to act "professional", that's for PAID WORK, man. Off hours I'm gonna be me, which means if I think you're a phony, I'm gonna say so, and not be eloquent at all about it. Thanks for dropping by - how about contributing to this community you claim to know so much about next time!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2024 1:31 pm 
Camper

Well, that's fine. Even so I would think you would attempt to make valid points instead of just appearing to get angrier and angrier.

What's there to be phony about, what are you even talking about now? I've been using this site for what, 12 years now. And I do contribute; I'm subscribed to RSS, I keep up on my Friday reading on the blog, I engage in conversations, I share music, I link to the blog, I enter contests; like this one:

http://fridaythe13thfilms.com/blog/prom ... ing-begin/ (my video is number one)

I love the site. The one time I provide critical feedback because of a big change that a lot of other people are wondering about I'm sure... all hell breaks loose.

From the very beginning all I was looking for was some clarity on the subject and to discuss my 2 cents.

From there I obviously struck a personal nerve, you got tunnel vision and turned this into a flame war, I just don't see what the point of all that defensiveness from the get go was about.

I'd still like to use the site, but I don't see even a happy medium resolution to be had and move on. So if you're going to delete my comments, my thread, account and block the IP of a long time, loyal user because you couldn't care less (which you've made very clear), just do it already.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2024 1:42 pm 
Camper

Just because I think you're a nutbar doesn't mean I hate ya, man.